Tuesday, 25 February 2014

Feb 24 (edited on the 25th)

My cat arrived a few days ago. He was staying with family in Ontario but now that I'm more settled was shipped out. He spent the first while in his kennel, eventually being let out to explore my room, and days later allowed to explore the apartment. My room-mate had two cats when she got here, but only the one that stayed indoors remains. That's the main apprehension I have to letting him go outside - we are in between a couple of very busy and big streets. He does not seem to care. As soon as he realised there was still an outside he wanted to explore it. There is no reasoning with a cat. I put him back in the box and have provided window's to perch from. He meows, in a very upset way, very frequently. I have started aversion therapy with a can of compressed air (will switch to a water bottle as the air is more pricey) and am doing my best to re-train him to be silent to get what he wants, instead of the incessant meowing he's so fond of. When provided with lots of indoor space and the ability to go outside its not a big issue for him to meow to get your attention - often it could be useful as he'd let you know water needed refilling or you should really be in bed by now. In this smaller space that's being shared by my roomate and a friend of hers who's crashing on the couch - it is less than ideal. I'm thinking he may need to be confined to my room and the box until next month.

I have been frustrated. Its snowing crappy rain snow and im feeling trapped in my room. A bike event I was going to attend on sunday was cancelled, which is good because the weather was horrible and worse - I was gonna go and do it anyway despite not having the correct gear. He (the cat) is an added frustration instead of the bff I was expecting. There is a point where I will just give up and let him go outside, but also am aware there is a large chance he will not make it back.  I wonder what the point of taking him out here was in the first place if its so difficult and he's so unhappy? To provide me with a buddy? Pair bonded animal support? The only support he's offering at the moment is to help temper my patience and refine it like a sword master folding a katana again and again. It could slice marble. I am resolved; the cat is a cat. While he may sometimes be my best friend, he is a cat. While I want him to be happy he has to be content first, and live within the boundaries set by this new place. He is used to stuff a certain way, and is going to have to get used to this new way.

Still stuck on  my demo reel. The last 4 years I've worked in an office - the only "professional" work I've done has been as an extra. I have almost nothing recent to put in a demo reel so am exploring other sources of material to use. Some footage of a rehearsal, maybe some radio show (if I can get it before.. whenever this is done). And if all else fails I'll put in some old voice-over work - better than nothing. I've been working on a couple monolouges too, but don't think I want to include recorded versions of them.. Doc Brown from Back to the Future explaining his time machine and Edmund the bastard from King Lear justifying his ambitions. Very contrasting and both fun to work on.

What am I waiting for? I'm not trying very hard to get myself acting asap. I have a bunch of small things that I'm "waiting" on like the union id card, more demo footage, a nice sunny day. Stifled ambition. I'm not banging down doors, not even looking for them very hard. I'm letting the negative consume my outlook and am hoping baby steps in the right direction will get me through whatever crap this is into that nice sunny day. Once I wrote I needed "more than a general affection for tomorrow".. currently I could just go for a little affection for today. Tomorrow is supposed to be literally sunny. I hope it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment