Saturday, 15 February 2014

Feb 15

Its been a week here in Vancouver. Things are going well - been biking and exploring a bunch. The first couple of times I did stuff like bike on big streets with lots of cars as I was unfamiliar with all the side street bike routes I can take. Now that I know I'm confident I can get to almost anywhere via bike - still might have the odd "oh crap" moment, but I'm not dead yet so that's something. I've been up to Stanley park a couple of times - the paths there are fantastic for cyclocross-ish type stuff, not to mention just an all around great ride. The technical (aka rocky and hard for hikers) paths up in Gateau Park I used to ride make these look like kindergarten, but I can go very fast which is fuuuuuuuun. On the way up to Stanley park yesterday I went past something filming. Not sure what it was but the telltale signs of techs trucks, trailers, and crew - not to mention an actual sign saying something like "FYI - stuff shooting" were a dead give away. I thought "hey I coulda been an extra!" but stopped myself - my first week here was for getting settled, not trying to find work (and I want dialogue, not to be blurry background). Good to see it though. A couple of background gigs a week will do a lot in terms of not blowing through all my savings.

I was feeling bummed out today (well, not bummed out - starting to feel bummed out) that I don't have a network of people in this new city that like to do what I like to do. Whose eyes wont glaze over when I describe the ordeal of installing cyanogen on my phone, only to realise it had to be stock ROM to unlock the carrier and the details involved in getting it all working. Or people who want to go biking and can show me effective paths to take to get places, or just awesome trails. But I didn't get bummed out because there was pretty much no one back home who did that with me either! So really, what was I missing? At least here I have an excuse not to tell anyone in gory detail about my tech projects or take friends on epic bike rides that'll leave them sunburned, blistered and exhausted. I'm going to meet people here who share my interests through those interests. Then will maybe have a chance to do all the stuff that will aid me in not feeling almost bummed out.

Oh yea and Valentines day. Saw lots of couples out walking, and lots of guys carrying heart shaped balloons. While i'm not a cynical single hating on Valentine festivities, I am glad to not have to partake. Its all ways been way to overblown and commercial. After a nice bike ride I spent it playing video games and eating chocolate ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment