The bees all flew away. It was sad, but they couldn't handle the onslaught of predators thinning their ranks and decided they needed to relocate. We got a bit of honey, they took most of it with them. We will try again when winter is done, and will implement a queen limiter so she can't up and leave like this one did. Terrific learning experience even if it did turn out less than ideal. Here is a letter:
Hey Dad,
Was working today at a studio on the north shore of Vancouver, on a show which I got a recurring background spot on (called "continuity" in the biz), and am going back tomorrow morning for some more. It gives me work once a month or a couple times, often with 2 days in a row and or overtime, so that's nice. Background work is mostly boring, the adage "hurry up and wait" really applies as there's an element of urgency despite just sitting for hours while things are prepared. As an extra you are brought in once all the hardware and cameras are almost ready, and get some basic blocking or interaction to follow. You have to be silent - the actors are often really, really quiet and captured by boom mics so you can even miss lines that are ques because you didnt hear it. Other times you walk across the camera repeatedly, to make a blurry wipe of a body left or right, often with other people going too. Or you walk past windows, maybe carrying something. I sometimes like to pretend I have some kind of dementia and am looking for a lost puppy as my motivation and to add some fun to aimlessly walking with other people in a carousel. I often feel like a prop that sometimes emotes.
Background work is a pretty far thing from being a stand-in. As a stand-in you are a member of the crew, and not only see the scenes set up from beginning to end, but stand where the actors would theoretically be or move during the scene, adjusting for lighting, framing or blocking and whatever else. You don't get to be in the thing, but its great for being more hands on. Lots more attention required and you have to carefully pick breaks to use the bathroom (called "ten-one"). Its best to be right there before they even ask for you, having a subject to point at is key to setting the scene and not having that key thing can disrupt the flow of production in a big way. There is a person whose job is to wrangle the background performers (aptly named "BG Wrangler") and deal with their blocking, any problems, paperwork, etc. As a stand in you are dealing much more with the people in charge. At least, thats my experience with that so far. I put it as one of my "skills" on my background performer skill list - something I'd really had very little experience on it till a night time shoot of a bunch of action scenes and special effect pre-footage for a popular show that just came out on TV. They rented the Simon Fraser Uni campus in Surrey. No one else with more experience wanted to work the hours, so I got it. There was also a stunt / photo double for the main actor who was often showing him how to make a punch look real or make a certain move more "superhero-y". The double was costumed the same and in so many of the shots that I often felt a bit redundant, but it was really fun and it was great to see some stunts and hear about the special effect plans to clone 4 stunt guys into a small army of dozens.
Another time recently being an extra I got a sort of featured moment. I played a boom mic operator and at one point came around a corner practically walking into the fake director and main actress arguing, then spun around and walked away quickly to avoid them without indecent (totally set-up planned action). They wanted my moment of realization that continuing on my path down the hallway was a bad idea - without really telling me so directly. I did it well, and impressed the director enough for him to come over with a big smile to shake my hand after the scene was shot. Pretty fun for me, even though I did realise that it was verging on "silent on screen" - something that pays more than strict background. But it was a tiny moment and maybe will give me some traction (remembered at future audition by someone or a laugh for the audience) so im happy.
Home life is good. Its tough sharing a space with lots of people (especially messy kids) but it has a lot of charm, projects, things to fix and tinker with. Its always interesting. A much more stimulating life than living alone for sure, though I really do miss having an awesome dog to play with - the one here is 15, deaf and does not play or like to eat popcorn. Cats are okay too, but suck at games and don't get excited.
I'll tell you more when we talk soon, just wanted to drop a line and tell you about some of the fun stuff I've been up to. Gotta get up at 6:45 to shower, shave, drink a quick coffee, then leave at 7:30. Takes 45 min to get there, plus 15 min early, plus 30 extra in case a tire needs to be changed or anything. At worst (as with this morning) i'm there early enough to stretch and warm down after the ride, then drink more coffee and get breakfast (they provide food and snacks, its great). Talk to you soon,
Andrew
SO that's that. I've been getting work doing that, more days doing stand in. Its a much better place to be in terms of learning and networking. I've put off finding a principal agent (an agent who deals with the principal roles, typically ones with diolouge) as I've been having fun out here and soaking in all the stuff. I also got sick of getting the run around from ones I was meeting or talking to - its as if they didn't realise that I get to choose them as much as they do me, and a bad impression leaves me not wanting them to rep me at all. So talking to fellow performers who've been here for years and hearing about their experiences with various agents in the city. Soon will be time to submit more applications, but I'm being selective and am not going to rush into anything. Its an important relationship so all due consideration and precaution should be taken. Besides, I'm happy doing what im doing, even though this progression has always been the plan. The PLAN.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDelete